Loaghtan Books horns logo   Loaghtan Books  
  Articles -
Southern Way
 
From Blackpool to Lowestoft via HavantArticle Menu button


Jeffery Grayer’s article in SW30 about the Hayling Island branch mentioned the plans of the Hayling
Light Railway Society to convert the railway to a modern tramway. The railway closed after traffic
on 2 November 1963. The recent closure of the street routes in Blackpool meant that a number
of modern tramcars were surplus to requirements and therefore available to the proposed
Hayling Island tramway.


Marton Vambac car 11 parked in Havant goods yard.  (30 May 1966) The vehicle chosen was Blackpool
car 11, one of the Vambacs (Variable
Automatic Multinotch Braking and
ACcelaration) rendered redundant
with the closure of Blackpool’s street
route to Marton on 28 October 1962.
The tram was purchased and transported
to Havant in 1963. After arrival it
was stored in the Havant goods yard
at the end of the station furthest
from the branch platform.

The tram was built by English Electric in Preston in 1939 and was one of a batch of 12, numbered
10-21. Originally built as ‘sun saloons’ for use on the promenade services, these trams had wooden
seats, opening roofs, semi-glazed windows and 4ft wheelbase trucks. They were rebuilt with fully
glazed windows and fixed roofs probably in 1942. A second rebuilding programme started in 1947 when the cars were equipped with new Maley and Taunton HS44 6ft wheelbase bogies. Vambac equipment was installed and the programme completed by August 1952. The Vambacs then settled down to provide the Marton service for the next ten years. Car 11 was the final service tram on the Marton route.

This modern car, with little more than 10 years use since rebuilding, would have been an ideal vehicle for the planned tramway. Sadly the project failed to come to fruition and trams never connected Hayling Island with Havant.

Having languished in a siding for six years, the Marton Vambac was rescued for the East Anglia Transport Museum by a consortium led by Eric Betts, and arrived at Carlton Colville near Lowestoft in 1969. The museum bypassed the Vambac equipment and used the car in service from 1978 to 1984. It was then withdrawn for a major overhaul and restoration. Since then a small dedicated group worked towards its full restoration spending an estimated total of 17,500 hours of volunteer labour.

Fully restored both in body and Vambac equipment, car 11 formally re-entered service at the East Anglia Transport Museum on 26 March 2005.

Looking magnificent following its major overhaul, and prior to its formal re-entry into service, Marton Vambac 11 at the East Anglia Transport Museum, Carlton Colville.  (19 September 2004)

Written by George Hobbs.
 
  Copyright 2016 © Loaghtan Books. All rights reserved.  Company Policy